From Pastor John's Desk - April 16, 2020
Dear Brothers and Sisters at West Highland,
In this fifth week of our lockdown we have learned from Premier Ford that these emergency measures will continue at least until just after Mother’s Day in May. This was hard for all of us to hear but we understand that this is for the good of all Ontarians. In a Zoom chat I had earlier today with several pastors, a seasoned veteran in the Lord’s work spoke up and said, “This gives us more time to dedicate ourselves to prayer.”
Here are a number of things I hope you will bring to the Lord in your personal and family prayer times.
- The news that the rate of COVID-19 transmission is falling in Canada is reason to praise God. Let’s continue to pray this will continue to fall and all the emergency measures will result in Canada becoming a COVID-19 free zone.
- We are now approaching 2.2 million people who have contracted COVID-19 worldwide. This is a very conservative number as in highly populated nations the actual numbers are unknown. In Canada today there are almost 30,000 who have tested positive. We need to pray for the sick.
- Pray also for the situation in many of our nursing and retirement homes. The people and their families affected need our prayers.
- A number within our church family are mourning the loss of loved ones. Pray for them during this time of grieving.
- Pray for all of our church leaders efforts to connect with the West Highland family. We want everyone to be encouraged and receive prayer as needed.
- Last Sunday, there were 455 devices used by individuals and families to join our online worship service. This probably means that there are more people “attending” than we normally have on Sunday mornings. Pray the whole church family and others who join will be encouraged in the faith and many will turn to the Lord for salvation. Pray also for the committed team who labour to serve us through these broadcasts.
- Our Life Groups are meeting online and each group is open to have more people join them. If you want to be involved contact Vicki Jaster or Jamie Strickland. They will be happy to help you connect with a Life Groups. Pray these Life Groups will thrive. Praise God for a new Life Group that was started recently.
- There are two Prayer meetings that you can join. One is Wednesday evening led by Pastor Ken Ingram (519-608-3794). The other is on Tuesday afternoons and led by one of our deacons, Sharon Weir (905-730-0338). Give them a call if you want to participate.
- Let’s keep on praying for our Prime Minister, Premier and mayor as they give leadership and make important decisions to safeguard the health and security of Canadians.
- Let’s continue to pray for God’s purposes to be fulfilled through this pandemic. It is not clear to us why this is happening but we need to trust the One who is sovereign over all things. Pray God might use this to turn the hearts of many people away from the idolatries that bind us and give them new hearts of faith and service to the Lord.
- Please see this invitation to join all of our FEB Central churches for a Day of Prayer this Sunday, April 19.
- I have enjoyed leading the Daily Devotions on our church’s Facebook page every morning, Monday to Friday at 8:00 a.m. Please pray for Pastor Jamie who will leads these devotional times next week from the Book of Psalms.
I trust that during these continued days of lockdown you will all experience God’s sustaining grace, grow deeper in your relationship with the Lord through prayer and his Word, and enjoy precious time with all who are in your households.
Praying with you for the day we will all be able to meet together again face to face in and worship our great God and Saviour together.
John Mahaffey, Lead Pastor
P.S. Don’t forget to memorize Psalm 46!