From Pastor John's Desk - April 2
Dear Brothers and Sisters at West Highland,
This is the second communique I am sending to you to assist you as you pray during this COVID 19 Pandemic. None of us could have imagined even three weeks ago the things that have transpired. The recent news that authorities are envisioning that this lockdown could continue to the end of June has not been easy for us to hear. As I type these words, the World Health Organization (WHO) informs us that the numbers of people infected by this coronavirus has now exceeded 1 million, and over 11,000 in Canada. All of this calls us, as people of faith, to prayer. Here are some things we can be praying for at this time:
- The online Sunday Broadcast. Because so many have expressed gratitude for the opportunity to worship “together” Sunday morning, we are doing our best to keep this broadcast going. Our Action Committee is following the guidelines given by the provincial government to limit groups to five people. This means that we are keeping our broadcast team separate from those who lead worship and preach. Pray for:
- Technical Difficulties to be negligible and for all desiring to get on line to be successful.
- All who work “behind” the camera to make things happen.
- Those who lead in worship and preaching in front of the camera .
- All who “attend” to be able to worship and be built up in their faith by the preached Word.
- Pray for me, Pastor John, as I begin new series this Sunday morning focused on texts in God’s Word that will help us navigate the challenges to our faith in the COVID 19 Age. This series is called “How Long, O Lord?” ( Psalm 6:3). This Sunday I will preach from Judges 13:1-25 with a special focus on verse 22-23. Read the passage ahead of time and pray the Lord will use this message in the hearts of all who watch.
- Daily Devotions with Pastor John every morning Monday to Friday on the church’s Facebook page. This is a 15 minute time opening the Scriptures and searching for the treasures in Paul’s letter to the Philippians. Pray this will be a rich time of spiritual feeding and encouragement. Invite others to join us.
- The 11,000 plus People in Canada who have been diagnosed with COVID 19. Pray also for their associates and family members.
- Health Care Workers and the steady supply of needed medical equipment for their protection and those being treated. Pray for the safety and health of those on the frontlines.
- Our Deacons Council Zoom Meeting this Saturday Morning. Another seven people have been appointed to serve on the Deacons Council (see last week’s online bulletin for details). This brings the number of deacons serving at WH to 28. Pray their Zoom meeting with Pastor John will be an encouraging time for them.
- The Action Committee. The AC meets on Zoom every Tuesday and Friday evening for one hour. They are committed to assisting the church in insuring that we remain ”relationally and virtually connected but physically separated” until this pandemic is over. Pray their decisions and efforts to follow all government directives will be successful.
- Our Pastors, Ministry Directors and Elders as they are attempting to connect with the church family by telephone, etc. to pray with people and encourage them during this time. Pray for Pastor Ken Ingram who leads this ministry and coordinates the calls.
- The Members and Adherents of our Church family. There are people you know and are close to. Remember to bring them by name and their families regularly before the Lord. Pray they will be strengthened, encouraged, grow spiritually, kept from the evil one and know God’s peace.
- The Flourishing of Online fellowship within the church family. This is happening in many ways and forms. Pray these prayer and fellowship groups, counselling sessions, etc. will bring encouragement to all involved
- People will turn to the Lord in repentance and faith. Pray that Canadians will turn from the idols of health and wealth “to serve the living and true God, and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead – Jesus, who rescues us from the coming wrath” (1 Thessalonians 1:9-10).
- Our Government. Pray for our Prime Minister, Premier and Mayor and all government officials as they give leadership and make important decisions to safeguard the health and security of all Canadians.
- Pray for the fulfillment of God’s sovereign purposes in this pandemic.
- Finally, please see this e-mail from Julius Kim the new President of The Gospel Coalition (TGC). Julius is inviting Christians and churches all across the world to join with TGC this Saturday, April 4 for a special Day of Prayer. The links in the e-mail, you will be guided to the information you need to take part in an incredible experiencing of praying with people all over the world.
These are unprecedented days and it is clear there are many challenges ahead of us. May we all know God’s peace and power.
Thank you for praying.